Fresh Watermelon and Mozzarella Salad – A Perfect Summer Lunch
Despite not having any rain in a couple of weeks (until just the last couple of days), the weather is beautiful in North Carolina. This past Sunday’s weather did not disappoint and it was a perfect day for lunch al fresco. My friend, Bailey, had some watermelon at a cookout last week and it had me dreaming of creative ways to serve it. Mozzarella? Sea salt? A balsamic syrup? Yes, please. Just look at this beautiful plate of food:
Best thing of all? It’s super easy and you can whip it up quickly. I think it would be fine to make a day ahead (I certainly had some for leftovers the next day).
2 cups of watermelon cut in to 1 inch cubes
1/2 pound of mozzarella cup in to smallish pieces ( I used the balls and chopped em….hehehehe!)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, (you could use dried, but I don’t think it would be nearly as pretty)
1/2 cup of good balsamic (don’t skimp here, people!)
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
sea salt to taste
crushed red pepper to taste
1. Boil balsamic over medium high heat until it reduces to a syrup. This step should take about 20 minutes.
2. When cooled, whisk sea salt, lime juice, red pepper and oil together.
3. Place melon and mozzarella in a bowl and toss with dressing
4. Serve with a delicious white like Hogue Sauvignon Blanc.
5. Enjoy outdoors on a beautiful day (don’t forget your sunscreen).