A Girl and Her Grill: I am Woman, Hear Me Chew
People of the interwebs: I love red meat. A big, beautiful cut cooked to a perfect medium-rare? Yes, please. Do you even know how many gals think it’s not ladylike to eat red meat?! It’s as though they still live in the age when women were supposed to eat salads, or a piece of chicken. Maybe, just maybe they’ll go for a petite filet. Eff that noise, ladies! Eat your meat – satisfy the appetite of your tummy (and your heart).
Rant much, Micheal? Yeah, sorry about that. So, I as much as I love a hunk of steak, I usually only have it once or twice a month. Friends, Nathan and Lucas, posted pictures of beautiful steaks a few nights ago and I’ve been thinking about them ever since. Inspired, I hit the Whole Foods after work last night and picked some meat (meat, meat, meat – I just love that word) and king crab legs. Do you even know how easy it is to grill the perfect steak with an amazing charred crust and juicy center? And even easier to grill crab? Let me tell you:
Ribeye – 2 inches thick
- set steak out to get to room temperature
- preheat grill as high as it will go
- coat steak in good olive oil, kosher salt and garlic. Hold the pepper; it will burn.
- after 20 minutes, toss steak on the hot zone of the grill and sear for 3-4 minutes.
- flip and let the second side sear.
- reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for a total of 15 minutes (including your first 6-8 minutes). Flip one more time during this period.
- remove from grill and let stand for 8-10 minutes before cutting.
- Heat grill to about 350 degrees
- brush shells with olive oil to prevent sticking
- grill on one side for 5 minutes
- flip and grill for another 5 minutes.
- serve with fresh lemon and melted butter (add a couple drops of hot sauce if you really want to bring out the flavor)
Oh, and one cannot eat crab legs without using a Hillary nut cracker!