Kiss My Grits
As any proper southern girl does, I love grits. Sweet grits, savory grits, grits for breakfast, shrimp and grits, grits for dinner….I love them all.
If I am craving something sweet, I will switch out the salt for a bit of sugar and maple syrup. Savory? Sub chicken broth for the water. This morning I popped them in the microwave using 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup water and a dash of salt and cooked for about 3 1/2 minutes. I topped them with fried pancetta, goat cheese and cayenne pepper. I could eat these all day, every day.
And here is my favorite shrimp and grits recipe:
This recipe comes from My Recipes and requires that you crank up the grill.
1. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Grill corn, covered with grill lid, 10 minutes or until done, turning once. Cut kernels from cobs. Discard cobs.
2. Bring salt and 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until thickened. Stir in corn kernels, cheese, and chipotle pepper. Cover and keep warm.
3. Stir together olive oil and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Toss shrimp with olive oil mixture; let stand at room temperature 3 minutes.
4. Remove shrimp from marinade, discarding marinade. Thread shrimp onto skewers alternately with tomatoes, mushrooms, and bell peppers.
5. Grill kabobs, covered with grill lid, 4 to 5 minutes on each side or just until shrimp turn pink. Serve kabobs with grits, and sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.
What are you eating for breakfast? And do you have an creative uses for grits?